Holly & Heather’s Handy Hint: ‘Tis the Season!
With Thanksgiving behind us, preparations are in full swing for the December holidays. We thought we’d share some new and old holiday traditions that we enjoy. Maybe you’ll be inspired to try some or share your own!
* Every year before Christmas, we bring out the advent calendar. It is simple enough: a large fabric square with 24 pockets each labeled 1-24. Every family member gets a small piece of paper to write a “good deed” on (i.e. “help set the dinner table”, or “anonymously make someone’s bed for them”). Make sure 24 “deeds” are written and place one in each pocket on the calendar. After each pocket contains a “good deed” paper, we write each family member’s name on separate pieces of paper and put them in a hat. One by one we each pick a name – and keep it secret – and for 24 days we do the good deed listed for that day for the person we chose (our Kris Kringle!). On the last day (December 25th!) we give a small gift to our Kris Kringle. Homemade ones are the best!
* We started a toy collection at our dance studio to donate new, unwrapped toys to the Toys For Tots program. Since our food drive went so well last month, this is something new we’re trying this year.
* We’re picking a day at our local church to feed the homeless. Our churches also have an “adopt a family” program where you can purchase gifts for a family in need specific to their wishes.
* Our houses are all decked out in full holiday spirit! The wonderful smells of baking add to the festiveness.
* A trip to New York City to see the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree is always on our to-do list! The windows at Macy’s are also fun to see.
* And visiting with our families, exchanging thoughtful gifts and sharing delicious meals are so special.
We hope you will take time this season to enjoy each moment and continue your traditions or begin new ones. We will try to do the same!