Holly & Heather’s Helpful Hint: Relax
Take a deep breath, right now. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Feel anything happening? Take a few seconds for yourself and relax. It’s no good to keep up a stressful pace, for hours at a time. Numerous studies have been done to show that when you are at an elevated stress level for too long…hours, days, weeks, it takes a toll on your body. High levels of cortisol constantly running through your veins regularly is not good for your nervous system. It is also linked to a host of medical problems from high blood pressure to being overweight. Our bodies are not designed to be in a constant state of “on” all the time. Personally, sometimes we don’t even realize that our shoulders are hunched or our jaw is clenched. Even if you can’t avoid a high stress job, a personal problem or are always just on the run for home and family, it’s vital to take some time each day to be at peace.
Here are some helpful things to do, whether you have a few seconds, minutes or an hour:
* Sit still in a comfy chair, close your eyes and take 3 deep breaths.
* Drink a cup of tea, chamomile is calming.
* Make yourself a warm bath with a nice scented soap.
* Try mediation. There are lots of apps that guide you from 1 minute on up, with relaxing music, right in the comfort of your own space.
* Take a yoga or stretch class.
* Go for a massage (even just a foot rub is peaceful).
You get the idea, it’s all quiet, mostly alone, peaceful things. And it’s very important for your health and well-being. Pick one thing and see how you feel!